University of Texas Southwestern
The University of Texas Southwestern (UTSW) is a large academic medical center and biomedical research institute located in the Southwestern Medical District of Dallas, Texas. UTSW’s allergy program includes drug allergy skin testing and comprehensive drug challenges. UTSW evaluates and enrolls patients from two Dallas, TX allergy clinics (UTSW and Parkland Hospital).
Dr. Khan has been involved in clinical research on allergic diseases, including drug allergy, for over 20 years. He has been the principal investigator on several drug allergy projects involving penicillin allergy, cephalosporin allergy, aspirin desensitization, and drug challenges. He was co-author of the updated Drug Allergy Practice Parameters (2010).
- Kao L, Rajan J, Roy L, Kavosh E, Khan DA. Adverse Reactions During Drug Challenges: A Single US Institution’s Experience. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2013;110(2):86-91.
- Chen JR, Buchmiller BL, Khan DA. An Hourly Dose-Escalation Desensitization Protocol for Aspirin Exacerbated Respiratory Disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2015;3:926-31
- Solensky R, Khan DA, Bernstein IL, Bloomberg GR, Castells MC, Mendelson LM, Weiss ME, Bernstein DI, Blessing-Moore J, Cox L, Lang DM, Nicklas RA, Oppenheinmer J, Portnoy JM, Randolph C, Schuller DE, Spector S, Tilles S, Wallace D, Dowling PJ, Dykewicz M, Greenberger PA, Macy EM, May KR, Nguygen MT, Schwartz L. Drug Allergy: An Updated Practice Parameter. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010;105:273.e1-e78.
- Khan DA, Banerji A, Bernstein J, Bilgicer B, Blumenthal K, Castells M, Ein D, Lang D, Philips EJ. Cephalosporin Allergy: Current Understanding and Future Challenges. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2019;7(7):2105-14.
- Chen JR, Tarver SA, Alvarez KS, Tran T, Khan DA. A Proactive Approach to Penicillin Allergy Testing in Hospitalized Patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2017;5:686-93.
- Chen JR, Tarver SA, Alvarez KS, Wei W, Khan DA. Improving Aztreonam Stewardship and Cost Through a Penicillin Allergy Testing Clinical Guideline. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018;5(6):ofy106.
- Dorman SM, Seth S, Khan DA. Risk of Allergic Reactions to Recurrent Intravenous Penicillin Administration in Penicillin Skin Test Negative Patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018;6(1):196-200.
- Savic LC, Khan DA, Kopac P, Clarke RC, Cooke PJ, Dewachter P, Ebo DG, Garcez T, Garvey LH, Guttormsen AB, Hopkins PM, Hepner DL, Kolawole H, Krøigaard M, Laguna JJ, Marshall SD, Mertes PM, Platt PR, Rose MA, Sabato V, Sadleir PHM, Savic S, Takazawa T, Voltolini S, Volcheck GW. Management of a Surgical Patient with a Label of Penicillin Allergy: Narrative Review and Consensus Recommendations. Br J Anaesth. 2019;123(1):e82-e94.