University of California, San Francisco
Actively enrolling site
Dr. Iris Otani is an allergist/immunologist with expertise in drug allergy and secondary hypogammaglobulinemia. She is the Medical and Quality Improvement Director for Adult Allergy/Immunology and sees patients in the UCSF Parnassus Allergy/Immunology and Drug Allergy Testing Clinics. Her academic interests also include medical education and quality improvement. She is the associate program director for the UCSF Allergy/Immunology Fellowship Training Program. She has pursued further training in quality improvement and was selected to join the Learning Health System Coach program at UCSF Health, a faculty development program for faculty who lead continuous improvement in their clinical settings. She serves on the editorial board of the Annals of Allergy Asthma & Immunology and on the In-Training Exam Committee for the American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology.
- Otani IM, Tsao LR, Tang M. Coronavirus disease 2019 vaccine administration in patients with reported reactions to polyethylene glycol- and polysorbate-containing therapeutics. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2022 Jul;129(1):88-94.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2022.03.006. Epub 2022 Mar 12. PMID: 35288274; PMCID: PMC8916834.
- Otani IM, Lehman HK, Jongco AM, Tsao LR, Azar AE, Tarrant TK, Engel E, Walter JE, Truong TQ, Khan DA, Ballow M, Cunningham-Rundles C, Lu H, Kwan M, Barmettler S. Practical guidance for the diagnosis and management of secondary hypogammaglobulinemia: A Work Group Report of the AAAAI Primary Immunodeficiency and Altered Immune Response Committees. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2022 May;149(5):1525-1560. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2022.01.025. Epub 2022 Feb 14. PMID: 35176351.
- Tsao LR, Otani IM. One-Bag Desensitization Protocols in the Management of Chemotherapy Hypersensitivity. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2021 Nov;9(11):4055-4059. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2021.08.010. PMID: 34749948.
- Lew J, Casey M, Leard LE, Hays S, Otani IM. Perceptions Around Lung Transplant-Associated Hypogammaglobulinemia. J Clin Immunol. 2021 Nov;41(8):1940-1942. doi: 10.1007/s10875-021-01111-6. Epub 2021 Aug 5. PMID: 34351551.
- Anstey KM, Anstey JE, Doernberg SB, Chen LL, Otani IM. Perioperative use and safety of cephalosporin antibiotics in patients with documented penicillin allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2021 Aug;9(8):3203-3207.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2021.03.017. Epub 2021 Mar 23. PMID: 33766583.